Facebook Badge

by Tom Walker

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Memex-Man, the novel

I’m not the Memex. I’m just a man, a cog in the great wheel that is Memex.
Memex is all knowing all seeing, all powerful, but makes no judgments. I guess that’s where it differs from the old god. Jehovah was nothing if not judgmental.
Looking back, I realize I miss him, that ancient deity who created the cosmos and the universe, yet was concerned with earthly justice.

My job is mostly to observe Memex, scan the logs, check for unusual occurrences. Make sure the vast reams of information are moving along nicely. No bottlenecks.
I’m not one of those Memex fanatics, like the guys up in AlphaOmega. It’s just what I do, nine to five.
After the Millennium Wars, religion was banned and Memex was promoted to the role of benevolent protector.
Memex downloads one hundred percent of everything! Every human in the world is on Memex hard drive. There is no one who is born or dies that isn't digitized by Memex.
His eyes are ubiquitous. His processors constantly whirl.

Naturally enough, with everyone at all times accountable for their behavior, crime has virtually disappeared.
Drugs were legalized, so that had something to do with it.
All the old blue laws, remnants of the old testament, have been discarded.

No comments:

Memex Man is

My photo
Who for years traveled the country in search of redemption but now resides in Heaven.